Recessed to the call of the President Pro Tempore
September 24, 25, 26
October 1, 2, 3, 15, 16, 17
Recessed to the call of the House Speaker
September 12 (non-voting), 13 (non-voting), 24, 25, & 26.
October 1 (Non-Voting), 2 (Non-Voting), 9, 10, 15, 16, & 17.
Governor Wolf urges swift passage of campus safety legislation
On September 6, 2018, Governor Wolf issued a news release calling upon the General Assembly to enact the following bills:
- Amnesty for students who report domestic violence or sexual assault: requires postsecondary schools to have policies to protect the students from discipline for violating other school policies, such as drug and alcohol use. (HB1757 sponsored by Rep. Madeleine Dean and SB 871 sponsored by Senator Judy Schwank)
- Online, anonymous reporting of sexual misconduct: requires postsecondary schools to create the reporting option for students. (SB 874 sponsored by Sen. Lisa Baker and HB 1756 sponsored by Rep. Dan Frankel)
- Affirmative consent standards: requires postsecondary institutions adopt standards for responding to allegations of sexual violence and expand K-12 health education standards to explicitly address areas of consent and healthy relationships in middle and high school. (HB 1755 sponsored by Rep. Mary Jo Daley)
- Comprehensive anti-violence and anti-harassment policies: consolidate existing requirements for K-12 schools around bullying, harassment, and violence, requiring districts to implement anonymous reporting systems and report statistics to the Pennsylvania Department of Education. (SB 872 sponsored by Sen. Art Haywood and HB 1754 sponsored by Rep. Dan Miller)
- Expand the Office for Safe Schools: requires the office within PDE to provide resources and support to postsecondary as well as K-12 institutions. The Office will award grants, monitor and assist with compliance with federal laws, and offer training and resources to educational institutions. (SB 870 sponsored by Sen. Vincent Hughes and HB 1752 sponsored by Rep. Karen Boback)
- Annual report card on sexual violence and harassment: requires school entities and postsecondary institutions to submit information on sexual violence and harassment incidents that occur at the institution and requiring PDE to publish annual report cards. (HB 1753 sponsored by Rep. Brian Sims)
All of the bills remain in the House or Senate Education Committees.
The information above is from Crisci Associates PA Capitol Digest.
September 15, 1857. Chief Justice and former President William Howard Taft is born.
Chief Justice Taft being sworn into office. Click for item in This Day in History.